Saturday, November 24, 2007

Time bomb

Hey ppl,

This week is an awful busy week for me. With SSC (student selective course) topics were out yesterday, as kia-su kampung boy from Borneo ( the ang mo peeps heard before Borneo cause apparently Orang Utans are more well known than Malaysia, yeah its true.... haha) I quickly grabbed the choices.

Other than that, I took a history from a man with chronic asthma ( type A brittle asthma) with complications of Aspergillosis and in his PMH he has testicular teratoma and had spreaded to the kidneys and lungs. PLUS he is MRSA postive. In short, hes dying. As I am reflecting back on the whole history taking session, though I was figuring out how to take a good history on his chronic asthma, he also share with me that he is dying soon. THEN I stopped from jotting things down and went straight to how he felt back then. DING! In Manchester curriculum, they follow the so called Cambrige-Calgary model in history taking and one of the components is ICE (ideas, concerns and expectations). He told me that life is like a time bomb, the clocks starts ticking with every heart beat. With every seconds, cherish it and embrace it purposefully.

Pondering upon this statement, its really easy to get off side track whenever we are busy busy busy like a bumble bee. For me, sometimes its feels like every week is a robotic routine schedule PLUS being a medical student is like down under the food chain in the hospital PLUS PLUS PLUS so much more.I do ponder why I took Medicine at the first place. It is really hard work. Hahaha, ppl said its one of the hardest course and very costly too. PLUS its a life-less career.

Hmmm, God is a creative God after all. In spite of all of it, God shows and speaks to me by the exprience when i take history from patients with many different backgrounds, by showing empathy to them. N above all knowledge that is available in the medical research world, somethings are not curable ( like this man, he went to ICU 3 days ago). God is above everything, including medicine.

So ppl, indeed life is like a time bomb. God is a detonator. N live life for the audience of one.

God bless

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yea life is a time bomb

How r u doing there in manc ken? :)

hope u r well!
not too bz with hospital i hope